The Department of Atomic Energy (DAE) is a broad based multidisciplinary organization of the Government of India. It was set-up on August 3, 1954 under the direct charge of the Prime Minister through a Presidential Order. The vision of the Department is to empower Nation energy independent and support national plans with regards to provide sufficient, safe and nutritious food, better health care and quality life to its citizens through basic research, technology development and deployment of nuclear and radiation technologies.
The Department is engaged in the design, construction and operation of nuclear power/research reactors and the supporting nuclear fuel cycle technologies covering exploration, mining and processing of nuclear minerals, production of heavy water, nuclear fuel fabrication, fuel reprocessing and nuclear waste management. It is also developing advanced technologies that contribute to the national prosperity. The spin-off technologies, human resource developed and technical services being rendered by the Department have been greatly helping the Indian industry. The Department is also developing better crop varieties, techniques for control / eradication of insects thus protecting the crops, radiation based post harvest technologies, radiation based techniques for diagnosis and therapy of disease particularly cancer, technologies for safe drinking water, better environment and robust industry.
Main Focus areas of work in the Department are :
Following are the Establishments / Organisations / Units / Plants of the Department
- Increasing share of nuclear power through deployment of indigenous and other proven technologies.
- Building and operation of research reactors for production of radioisotopes and carrying out radiation technology applications in the field of medicine, agriculture and industry.
- Developing advanced technologies such as accelerators, lasers, supercomputers, advanced materials and instrumentation, and encouraging transfer of technology to industry.
- Support to basic research in nuclear energy and related frontier areas of science, interaction with universities and academic institutions, support to R & D projects having a bearing in DAE's programmes and international co-operation in related advanced areas of research and
- Contribution to national security.
spread across the country, dedicated in achieving its visionary targets :
RESEARCH AND DEVELOPMENT SECTOR
INDUSTRIES AND MINING SECTOR
- Bhabha Atomic Research Centre (BARC)
- Indira Gandhi Centre for Atomic Research (IGCAR)
- Raja Ramanna Centre for Advanced Research (RRCAT)
- Variable Energy Cyclotron Centre (VECC)
- Atomic Minerals Directorate for Exploration and Research (AMD)
- Global Centre for Nuclear Energy Partnership (GCNEP)
PUBLIC SECTOR UNITS
- Nuclear Fuel Complex (NFC)
- Heavy Water Board / Plants (HWB Mumbai & HWPs @ Manuguru, Kota, Baroda, Tuticorin, Talcher)
- Board of Radiation and Isotope Technology (BRIT)
- Nuclear Power Corporation of India Ltd. (NPCIL)
- Uranium Corporation of India Ltd. (UCIL)
- Electronics Corporation of India Ltd. (ECIL)
- Indian Rare Earths Ltd. (IREL)
AIDED INSTITUTIONS AND OTHER ORGANIZATIONS OF DAE
- Directorate of Construction, Services & Estate Management (DCSEM)
- Directorate of Purchase and Stores (DPS)
- General Services Organisation (GSO), Kalpakkam
- Tata Institute of Fundamental Research (TIFR)
- Saha Institute of Nuclear Physics (SINP)
- Tata Memorial Centre (TMC)
- Harish-Chandra Research Institute
- Institute of Physics (IOP)
- National Institute of Science Education and Research (NISER)
- Institute of Mathematical Sciences (IMS)
- Institute for Plasma Research (IPR)
- Board of Research in Nuclear Sciences (BRNS)
- National Board for Higher Mathematics (NBHM)
- Atomic Energy Education Society (AEES)
- Homi Bhabha National Institute (HBNI - a deemed University)
CONSTRUCTION, MAINTENANCE, PROCUREMENT ETC. IN THE DEPARTMENT :
- Atomic Energy Regulatory Board (AERB)
- Administrative Training Institute (ATI)
Construction and maintenance of assets / infrastructures, various procurements, and other associated activities are being shouldered either by respective Units independently or by its Service organizations which include comprehensive services in the field of planning, designing, construction and maintenance management of the projects with Quality Assurance. The works are executed as per the Procedure laid down by the Department from time to time.